Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Day Daddio

As we were sitting in Sacrament meeting today hearing about all of the responsibilities great fathers have and all of the things they need to do to be great fathers, I couldn't think of a single trait that my own dad doesn't have. I mean, my dad has it all. I just looked up traits of a good father and I found a great list. A few of them really stuck out to me.
1. He is a good disciplinarian-Sure, I wouldn't tell you at the time I was in trouble that my dad was a good guy, but now that I think about it, he was great! For some reason, my dad always knew what my punishment meant to me and how upset I was. Even if it was something silly and pointless to everyone else, my dad knew what it meant to me. I don't know how he did it...
2. He accepts that his kids aren't exactly like him-Oh man...I was so nervous to tell my dad that I didn't want to be an OR nurse anymore. My whole life I had wanted to be just like my daddy and follow in his footsteps. When I shadowed in the OR for a semester, he bought me my own hat thingy to wear in the OR complete with ladybugs and everything. My dad was so happy that I wanted to be just like him. When I decided that wasn't quite the direction I wanted to go...I didn't know how to tell him. But, he seemed just as excited when I told him I wanted to go into Special Ed as he did when I wanted to be like him. My dad gave me words of encouragement and told me I would be great at whatever I wanted to do.
3. He spends quality time with his children-Someone was talking today about spending time with their dad and I started to tell Brent about how I used to go on dates with my dad. Quantity is one thing, and quality is something completly different. How happy I am that my dad did both with me. When he would take me on dates, I knew that he was just focused on me for that time. We would talk about the weirdest things that only were important to me. It means so much to me that he did that.
4. He shows unconditional love- For some reason growing up, I don't remember my dad telling me that he loved me all the time. But, I knew that he did. There was no doubt in my mind that my dad loved me and cared for me. Lately my dad has been saying that he loves me more, and its nice to hear, but its something I knew all along. I am so grateful for a dad who showed me love through everything he did. (I even knew my dad loved me when he was mad at me!)

Those are a few of the traits that really remind me of my dad, although every one of them relate to him. I really had a super dad and am so thankful for him. My dad really is the best dad in the whole world. I don't know how my mom knew to pick him, but she did get me a good daddy. When I'm having a bad day at school, I always wish that my dad was around. For some reason, he could just say the right things and get me motivated again. Dad, I love you and am glad you are my dad.

Another great guy that can't get left out is Brent. He reminds me so much of my dad in the way he is, and maybe thats I love him so much. I know that Brent will be a great dad to our kids someday. It gives me so much comfort to have him and to know that he will be a great example to our kids. Thanks Brent's Dad and Mom for raising such a good kid and helping him be a great guy for me to marry.

I really am so lucky to have such great men in my life. Happy Father's Day.

No comments: