Saturday, January 29, 2011

having a positive attitude

As I was driving to school today I saw a sign holder. You know who I'm talking about. They get paid (what I'm only assuming is a small amount) to stand outside (in all kinds of temperatures) and hold a sign for a business that is advertising some sort of out-of-this-world something or another.

I was stopped at a red light just watching this kid. He was bundled up in a coat and gloves. He could see his breath because it was so cold outside. And he looked like he was having the greatest time! He was dancing around, throwing up his sign, and trying to do tricks. Tricks! He was spinning the sign; throwing the sign to catch it; throwing the sign, having it spin, and catching it; throwing the sign, spinning around himself, and catching it. Wow! I started clapping in my car because he was making me so happy.

I could be completely wrong about what I'm going to say next, but I'm okay with that. I'm wrong on many occasions. I am imagining that this kid needed some money and took the first job he got. I am imagining that this isn't the most glamorous job or the job that he has dreamed of since he was small. I'm imagining that this kid has a million other things to be doing at the time he is needed to be sign holder. However, I'm imagining that he is happy. That he is finding joy in what he is doing when he is doing it. That his attitude is positive.

This kid made me think of how happy people could be if they only had a positive attitude. If people loved their jobs (or at least looked at it with some positive light).

I might be completely crazy to think that people could be a little more positive. I have the. greatest. job. I love my job. Seriously. Even when kids are throwing chairs or refusing to work. I love my job. And I am lucky to have a job I love so much.

But, let's all love our jobs. Or at least try to love our jobs. Try to find joy in what you are doing when you are doing it. Be like my friend the sign holder. Dance. Do tricks. Have a good time. Try it.

4 comments:

Chandra said...

Thanks for the little reminder. A Positive attitude is a great thing to strive for.

Stacie Lou said...

I like this post. And I like you. I think you are one of the most positive people I know and I love imagining you getting excited about the kid and his sign. So I agree, positive attitudes are good.

Teachinfourth said...

Are you talking about the Little Cezar guy? If so, he's awesome...

Carolyn said...

I was actually talking about the tax guy. Right there on State and Center. Have you seen him? He rocks my world. But the pizza guy is awesome too.