Thursday, June 4, 2009

Memories

The funeral was amazing. There were lots and lots of laughs. There were also lots and lots of tears. It was great to be home and it was great to remember and honor Grandpa. Visit my momma's blog....she wrote about the funeral and added some pictures.

As I said earlier, I am going to post some memories of Grandpa. So I have them. And so I will be able to tell my kids someday that they have the most amazing Great-Grandpa waiting for them, pushing them, helping them.

Memory Number One: Apples

This isn't a huge memory, nor is it one of the funniest. But, it is a memory and it is all mine.

I remember sitting on Grandpa's lap when I was younger and he would peel an apple with one peel of his knife. It was amazing! I would sit on his lap and he would cut an apple for me into the perfect size piece. I don't know why I remember this. But, I remember being impressed with his peeling skills and I remember loving those apples!

Memory Number Two: Hide the Candy

Grandpa was the Candy-Man for everyone. But, at his house we loved to play hide-the-candy. Us grandkids would go in the toy room and wait until Grandpa would call us out. He would hide a piece of candy (or a few pieces....) and we would come out and seek it. We knew all of the great places: in the lamp, in the fireplace crack things that were supposed to be there, in Grandma's hair, on top of the mantle. Man, as many places that we knew of, there were always new places for candy to hide. I don't know where this game came from, I'm pretty sure he made it up. But, man, it sure was fun.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey! What about the ole pull the candy out of my ear trick? I remember always asking grandpa to pull tootsie rolls out of my ear...magic! Hope you are doing well. I was so sad that I couldn't go to the funeral:( Glad it was amazing....he deserved such a send off!

ShEiLa said...

Carolyn

WE are on the way to take Uncle Tony to the doc'. I am glad that you have memories of your dear g.pa.

I am glad you could be there.

Did you still get to go to Chris' graduation? That is today... right?
I am hoping you are still at home... but you never know.

ToOdLeS.

Chandra said...

Wow...this post took me back a few years. I remember you sitting on grandpas lap eating apple slices. I'm so glad you kids had the opportunity to grow up right next door. You spent so much time with your grandparents in your childhood and that was such a blessing. Glad you are writing some of these memories down. Hope you post more.

Unknown said...

I remember your Grandpa from the couple times I went over there. He was the greatest, he was so funny. I have a couple of pictures that I will send you!! Hope your family is doing alright! loves ya girlie!

Kelsy