Sunday, October 23, 2011

Calling all Smarties!

So, did you know that you are smart? Because you are. And since you are sooo smart, I decided to enlist your help so you can show off your brains.

What do I really need for Baby Hirzy?

I have been finding a few lists on the internet and most of them seem to have a lot of stuff. I'm wondering what kinds of things are essential to have.

We do have a crib (thanks Mom & Dad!), a car seat, stroller, and changing table (thanks Grandma Blue Hair!), dressers, clothes, sheets & mattress protectors, and a couple blankets.

What else do we need? I'm talking everything, People. From things you think would be obvious, to the not so obvious.

Thanks, Guys. You really are smart.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Alright. I don't have a baby yet (I know...shocker), but I have been fast gathering all things baby. The things people have told me are the best things ever are...
* Butt Paste (for rashes)
* Breast Feeding Cover
* Boppy and Bumbo (although I know some people don't always like them)
* BOOKS!!
* Quality Diaper Bag
* Nipple Cream - for cracked nipples
* Compact-able bathtub (so it doesn't take up as much room in the apartment)
* bassinet and or play and pack

Don't buy things yet though...we got a lot of our things second hand, garage sales, borrowed, or as gifts. Wait until your baby shower to see what you get and what you still need :)

Jackie said...

Sounds like you've got the basics covered. My piece of advice is wait till she's born for other stuff. You'll learn real quick what you can live with or without at that point.

I got cloth diapers for burp rags for Maxine. If you're planning on breastfeeding there is a bunch of stuff you'll need. I'm probably going to just write you a message with some other ideas.

I'm so excited for you. She's going to be so adorable!

The Graham Family! said...

There are TONS of things that are nice to have but maybe not necessarily a NEED. One thing I loooove that I feel like is a need for me.. is a boppy. They are SO nice to have to hold the baby more comfortably. The men can even use it by just putting it under the baby to prop up their arms. Believe it or not.. the little 5 lb baby can seem REALLY heavy while rocking her to sleep late at night! Plus it's wonderful for breastfeeding support. I also love the binky chains to keep the pacifier attached to the baby. SO much better than having it fall down into the car seat or dropping them at stores, etc. If you're going to breastfeed I think a cover is way nice to have. My mom made me a couple even tho breastfeeding never worked out with either one of my girls.. my sisters had them and loved them. And a good diaper bag with lots of pockets. They'll usually give you a free one at the hospital that will totally work too. So happy for you! That's all I can think of that I would have wanted from day one. Good luck!

Kings said...

boppy- LOVE this! great for feedings and my kids always lay in it. i never needed to buy the swing or anything. for me the swing isn't a need (but ya never know your baby might be different)
bumbo or pea pod (seat for baby when she can hold her head up)
desitin
nursing cover
lanolin cream (the purple box stuff for the boobs :) )
nursing pads!! (so no leaking onto shirts)- my fav kind is evenflo, but try diff kinds to see what you like the best.
breast pump- most doctors offices let you borrow or rent one. even the WIC office (if you get on wic) so see with them first before you spend the $
burp rags and bibs- i have tons of them (mostly rags) just in case. harper doesnt spit up a lot, but its nice to have them on hand just in case, especially with feedings

so the things i've found i didnt need.... the excersizer thing the baby sits in and plays, and the walker, and the bouncer thing that goes in doorways... never had them and always thought all they did was take up space (especially w/ apt living) and didnt do much, adyson learned to walk fine w/o them and she had fun playing with her toys on the ground.
lots of diapers and wipes!- for me i didnt stalk up on newborn or 1s because i want sure how fast my girls were going to grow and i didnt want to have tons of too small diapers lying around. OH check craigs list or BYUs bulletin board. there are some moms that sell some really good things on there, new or hardly used... even diapers for cheap!!!
thats all i can think of right now! cant wait to see you some time! if you ever have questions or anything just give me a call!

Kings said...

ok so i mean diapers and wipes are a MUST! wrote it in the wrong category!

A Real Winner said...

Magazines to read while your breast feeding? I've heard you can't focus on actual reading sometimes so magazines work well. Yeah that's all I've got.

Cassidy said...

So glad you've got the big things already :) Here's my list of yes and no:

Need-
Boppy- easily one of the best things I had. Helps with nursing and tummy time for baby
Lansinoh cream- I liked this brand best. The medela lanolin was so greasy and didn't help. Stick with lansinoh.
Good quality diaper bag- I have a jj cole one that I had researched and played around with at the store. Make sure the one you pick has enough pockets (or less if you don't want them) to keep you as organized as you'd like to be.
Nursing cover- I used blankets, but really wished I had a nursing cover with the strap around the neck and the boning that curves so you can see baby. I'm planning on making one, I'm sure it'd be cheaper than buying...
Travel diaper caddy- this is big enough to hold a wipes case, 2 or 3 diapers and a changing pad. Perfect for handing off diaper stuff to Brent at church or when you don't need your whole diaper bag.
Nursing pads- use disposable ones for the first while (I liked the lansinoh brand because they were thin, but absorbed a lot, and curved so your bra doesn't look like it has a big wad of something shoved in it...haha) there are other brands out there that are fine, but the only one I absolutely HATED was Johnson and Johnson's. They were tiny circles that were super thick and not even that absorbant. Then once your milk supply slows down (I'd say around month 3 ish) get a few pairs of washable breast pads. It'll save you money and you just wash them with all your burp rags and towels or whatever.
A basket or box to keep diapers, wipes and a blanket/changing pad in the living room- we never had a changing table, and most of the time you'll be in the living room anyway when you need to change baby. Makes life easier :)
Sheet saver- this is just a small dish towel sized/style pad that ties to the crib rails and you put baby's head there when she sleeps. If she spitsup on it, I saves you from having to take the entire sheet off the bed.

Things you don't need-
Exersaucer- waste of space and money
Bouncy seat/swing- now, I'm not saying you don't need either, I'm saying you don't need BOTH. Pick one, and you'll be fine. It'll save you space.
Baby laundry detergent- we always washed Kenzie's stuff with the same stuff we washed our clothes. Baby specific detergent (like Dreft) is pricey. If Baby has sensitive skin, switch everyone to All free and clear.

Wow, that was a lot of info... If you have any questions (ever) feel free to call me :) I did work at Babies R Us for 4 years before I even became a mom, so I saw all the stuff that was good quality, along with things that were always returned and/or completely unneccessary.

Love you tons and bunches! You're going to be the BEST mom!!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

you probably don't know me...but i'm from moses lake and I lurke sometimes. this is one thing that you will NEED. regular underwear for YOU. yep you will thank me later. just get good ol cheap briefs!

also I LOVED the vibrator bouncy seat. I could put the babe in that and take it into the bathroom whith me while i showered and got ready, then i wasn't worried the baby was crying or not breathing or whatever while i was showering. i would just peak around the curtain and they would be good. plus my babies always loved the sound of the shower and it would usually lul them to sleep. also you can take or carry the bouncer anywhere with you! for me it's a must!

Tiffany Fackrell said...

oh and you'll want to buy yourself some pads (like you would buy for your period) the hospital will provide some...but they are more like diapers and you will eventually need something a little less diaperish after the first few days. sorry i hope this isn't TMI but I am sure your hubby will appreciate it when he doesn't have to go stand in the isle wondering what in the heck you want/need!

Nichole Gaertner said...

My suggestions were all covered by the other mom's. You'll also want some good swaddle blankets, and maybe two binkies just in case your baby takes to them. I would have at least one bottle on hand just in case. My son actually couldn't nurse- or rather I couldn't nurse him- and we weren't prepared for that. I got home and had a melt down. On the other hand- my daughter nursed magically! But you want to be prepared, just in case. And I would buy at least two different brands of diaper rash cream- every bum reacts differently!

Good luck!!

Nichole Gaertner said...

OH- and totally listen to what Tiffany said!!! And tucks. Get those suckers ready sweetie! The after "birth" part is the hardest thing to prepare for. Also- just a warning. If you are going to look into the mirror after you have your sweet baby, do it alone. Your anatomy will change so much you will want to have a good cry alone... and then remember- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! AND we ALL have those war wounds! ;)

Nate, Brittney and Ryan said...

Okay two more things. One, the book "On the Night You Were Born." I promise it'll make ya cry. And two, if you're planning on getting a breast pump talk to your insurance company. I got a $280 one for $40. It's definitely worth a try.

Amy J said...

Oh, I actually have one more... Buy a lingerie mesh laundry bag. The kind you can use to wash panty hose. I used it to wash my nursing pads and baby socks. Keeps them all together.

Also, don't buy a lot of diapers in the small sizes. They grow so fast. I have heard that they are usually in size 3 the longest. But my kids were in size 1 for only about two weeks.

Oh, and my best piece of advice is that everything gets easier. When you are at your wits end without sleep or with a colicky baby, just hang in there for a week and it will feel easier. Either you get stronger, or the baby changes. Congrats!

Unknown said...

Okay, after the baby's born, if she likes to be swaddled, get some swaddlers. They have Velcro, and are so much easier to use than an actual blanket, and it's harder to break through. Zoey loves to be swaddled, and those swaddlers are like drugs...as soon as I put her in it, she falls fast asleep (especially at night!). Also, I'm trying out the Moby wrap today, and I love it. Seriously, best $50 spent. I would wait to see if you get any gift cards though. If you do, it is definitely worth the money (especially if she likes to be swaddled)